US ESTA Answers

United States ESTA – all you need to know before applying

The ESTA, or Electronic System for Travel Authorization, is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The Visa Waiver Program allows citizens of certain countries to travel to the U.S. for business, tourism, or transit purposes without obtaining a traditional visa. Instead, travellers can apply for an ESTA online, simplifying the process and expediting entry into the United States.

For what purposes can I use United States ESTA?

For tourism, business and transit

How long will my United States ESTA be valid?

ESTA will typically be granted for a period of two years or until the applicant’s passport expires, whichever is sooner.

How long can I stay in the United States using ESTA?

90 days or less

Can I extend my stay in the United States beyond 90 days if I hold an ESTA?

No, it’s not possible to extend your stay if you hold an ESTA. If you wish to stay longer you should apply for United States B-1/B-2 visitor visa

Are there any transport restrictions?

You should arrive in the US via a Visa Waiver Program signatory carrier. You can find a list of signatory carriers on the US Customs and Border Protection website here

Which nationalities are eligible for US ESTA?

If you hold a citizenship from any of the following US Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries, you are eligible for an ESTA:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

Are there any conditions that affect my eligibility for US ESTA?

If any of the following conditions apply then you are not eligible for an ESTA and you should apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa instead:

  • You have travelled to or been present in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions for travel for diplomatic or military purposes in the service of a VWP country)./li>
  • You have travelled to or been present in Cuba on or after January 12, 2021 (with limited exceptions for travel for diplomatic or military purposes in the service of a VWP country)./li>
  • You are also a national of Cuba or the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea or Iran or Iraq or Sudan or Syria.

When is the best time to apply for US ESTA?

It’s not advisable to apply less than 3 business days before your trip as you may not get your ESTA on time.

When do I need to reapply for an ESTA?

A new ESTA may be required if:

  • You have changed your passport
  • You changed your name
  • You changed your gender
  • You changed your citizenship
  • The circumstances underlying your previous responses to any of the ESTA application questions requiring a “yes” or “no” response have changed